it is a truth universally acknowledged that a man in possession of an opinion must be in want of a soapbox

Standing back to get a closer look

Sunday 23 May 2010

Choose your own context for search results

What about a browser plug in that gave you more control over search results? I've often scanned results looking for a result from a domain I recognise or looking for a term that shows me it has the right context. Let's be fair, the only reason I ever make it past the first page is because I'm fairly sure what I'm looking for is out there somewhere but it hasn't been kindly positioned under my nose by Google (or anyone else).

And when I do get relevant options at the top of the list, I often consider no more than five options before I make a choice. There must be a wealth of information out there just waiting to enlighten me but if the first options seem at least adequate then having to go beyond the first  results page seems like too much effort.

So my idea is a simple results analyser and filtering tools. Business is demonstrating the value of informatics and I reckon consumer informatics tools must be on the way to help us process the seemingly limitless information available online.

My idea is to gather and index a pre-set number of the cached results returned for any search (maybe 100 by default) and, as a starting point for the plug-in, do two things with it:
  • Create a word cloud. An absolutely standard word cloud where the word appears larger based on the number of times it is used and omitting the basic words we use to string concepts together (unless they form part of the search term). You'd expect to see the search term quite large at the centre and get an insight into a much bigger picture. Clicking on a word in the cloud will bring those specific results (already returned) which also include that word to the top. Double-clicking would add the word to the search term and get new results.
  • Prioritise results by a simple brand and domain favourites system. During normal surfing, any trusted/preferred domain can be added in the same way as a bookmark (and organised into groups etc). When adding a domain, the user will be prompted to confirm the domain's brand (e.g. www.diy.com = B&Q). Following a search, the user will be notified how many of the results come from  preferred domains and how many of the results contain preferred brands. By selecting a domain, brand or group or either the plug-in will automatically bring those sites to the top. Again, double-clicking will add the brand or domain to the search terms and re-submit.
Hopefully this could give surfers broader views and more insight into what opportunities and information lie hidden beyond the next results.

0 comments: